93 Fremont Place
PLEASE SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIESWILSHIRE BOULEVARD ADAMS BOULEVARD BERKELEY SQUARE
WINDSOR SQUARE ST. JAMES PARK WESTMORELAND PLACE
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO FREMONT PLACE, CLICK HERE
Before he died five years after moving into #128—the house he built for himself in 1922—Llewellyn Iron Works executive Benjamin Harwood bought two more lots in his square of Fremont Place on which to build speculative projects. With the team that had designed 128, Corwin & Merrill, no longer practicing together, Harwood hired Pasadena architect Albert J. Schroeder to design houses in two varying styles for Lots 93 and 95. The latter was begun early in 1927, with the Department of Building and Safety issuing permits for 95 on May 3 of that year; with one project completed or nearly so, the other had barely begun when Harwood died of a stroke at home on July 17 at the age of 44. With the upheaval caused by her husband's death, Edith, her children still teenagers, managed to complete the houses and appears to have retained them as rentals. Retired Sears-Roebuck manager Max Asher—not Max Asher the actor, makeup artist, and magician, as is sometimes written—leased the house for several years until 1934; after Edith married Fox location manager Raymond Moore on April 26 of that year, the couple moved into #93. Mr. Moore died in 1952; Edith Campbell Harwood Moore, still living at 93 Fremont Place, died on August 18, 1960.