97 Fremont Place
On March 30, 1919, the Los Angeles Times described a 12-room frame-and-plaster house being planned by architect Myron Hunt for Martha Chapoton, the well-provided-for widow of a Detroit doctor who that January had acquired Lot 97 at the northwest corner of Eighth Street and Westerly Drive (now designated Fremont Park West). The Department of Buildings issued a permit to begin construction the following April 26. The house, which still stands, remained in Mrs. Chapoton's family at least until 1965; not long after her death in 1939, her daughter Edith and son-in-law Frederick O'Brien moved to 97 from Oxford Avenue. The accompanying photographs reveal that it was once much easier to appreciate Los Angeles domestic architecture of the old western suburbs, most of it having risen in old bean and barley fields, before the landscapers' efforts took full root. The house's full story will appear in due course.
Illustrations: California State Library