63 Fremont Place
PLEASE SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIESWILSHIRE BOULEVARD ADAMS BOULEVARD BERKELEY SQUARE
WINDSOR SQUARE WESTMORELAND PLACE ST. JAMES PARK
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO FREMONT PLACE, CLICK HERE
In the latter half of 1998, this much-added-onto house, built late in the history of Fremont Place on a subdivision of the large lot once belonging exclusively to #61, received a McMansion-worthy portico that may or may not have improved its appearance. While images of its original visage have not turned up, the initial incarnation of #63 was built in 1954 as a typical modern suburban house, one with a garage not in the back but right up front, the lawn given over to automobiles. A very early owner if not the builder was Austrian-born casket manufacturer Martin Winkler, who remained in there until his death in his 91st year on December 11, 1989; his wife, Blanche, had died in July 1987.
Illustration: Private Collection