65 Fremont Place
PLEASE SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIESWILSHIRE BOULEVARD WINDSOR SQUARE ADAMS BOULEVARD
BERKELEY SQUARE ST. JAMES PARK WESTMORELAND PLACE
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO FREMONT PLACE, CLICK HERE
While one might get the impression that the John S. Shepherd house at #68 is the only residence in Fremont Place designed by Paul Revere Williams, it is in fact one of two in the neighborhood by the vaunted architect; the second-built sits at #65, right across the subdivision's east drive from the Shepherd house. After investment counselor Alfred D. Davey acquired Lot 69 or a northerly portion of it in the late '20s, he hired Williams to design a modern dwelling that both prefigured and would come to represent the modern horizontal styles that were to firmly relegate Mediterranean notions of taste to the suddenly long-ago and musty '20s. A building permit for Williams's 12-room brick Monterey Revival variation for Davey was issued by the Department of Building and Safety on May 6, 1930, just seven years after those for the Shepherd house were pulled. (The Edward Warner house on the southerly portion of Lot 69, addressed with that number, was built 10 years later.) The full story of #65 Fremont Place will be told in due course.
Illustration: Private Collection