113 Fremont Place
PLEASE SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIESWILSHIRE BOULEVARD BERKELEY SQUARE ST. JAMES PARK
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO FREMONT PLACE, CLICK HERE
One of the many large area houses produced by the team of builder Sanson N. Cooper and his frequent collaborator, architect Robert D. Jones, 113 Fremont Place appears to have been commissioned as a winter home by Chicago sausage mogul Charles Hollenbach in early 1925. Hollenbach and his wife Agatha had been spending the season in an Irving Boulevard house designed in 1922 by the Cooper-Jones team; the originator of the American production of Thuringer bratwurst was issued a permit to begin construction of 113 on April 18, 1925. A classic example of the Mediterranean style that would become a hallmark of the decade, the very attractive red-tile-roofed house appears from the street much as it did 90 years ago. The full story of the early years of 113 Fremont will appear in due course.
Illustration: Plan A Locations